State Dining Room

This room is used regularly for dinners, luncheons, and breakfasts.  We can seat 18 people at the table, and 50 people with four round tables at the corners of the room.

The table is mahogany and is called an Accordion Table.  It was made by John Seymour in Boston (Circa 1810).  It is 14 feet long and can be cut down to seat four people.

The chairs are Curly Maple English reproductions of the Federal Greek Revival style.  They are exact replicas of the 19th Century chairs that are in the Telfair Academy in Savannah.

The candelabras and the Epergne on the table came from the battleship “Georgia” and were made at the turn of the century.  They are Gorham Silver.

The cut glass covered compote is Waterford and is etched with the Georgia State Seal.  Rich’s Department Store gave this piece to the Mansion for the 250th Anniversary of the State of Georgia (1733-1983). 

Above the chest in the State Dining Room is an oil painting that is signed and dated by Benjamin West (1763).  It is called "The Preparation of Psyche," or "The Stolen Kiss."  In the early sixties, this painting was in the Montreal Museum of Art in Canada.

All of the fabrics in the State Dining Room are by Scalamandre, as are the majority of the fabrics throughout the rest of the Mansion.