Welcome to the Governor’s Mansion. In this section you will see select pictures and information included in our tour. Please visit us in person to get a more in depth tour!
Governor Carl Sanders is responsible for this wonderful Greek Revival home being built in 1967. The beautiful fountain in front of the Mansion can be attributed to the efforts of his wife, accomplished artist Betty Foy Sanders.
This official residence opened in 1968. Lester Maddox was the first Governor to reside here. His administration was followed by Jimmy Carter, George Busbee, Joe Frank Harris, Zell Miller, Roy Barnes, and Sonny Perdue. Governor Nathan Deal is the eighth administration to occupy this Executive Mansion.
There are a total of 30 Doric columns made from 24 feet high California Redwoods surrounding the porch. They have been hollowed out and treated on the inside to disguise the flat roof’s water drainage system. The house has 30 rooms and is approximately 24,000 square feet in size. The architect was A. Thomas Bradbury.
The 18 acres of broad sloping lawns and gardens once belonged to former Atlanta Mayor Robert Maddox who owned a large English Tudor home on this site. When Mr. Maddox sold the property to the state, the home was demolished, and this Executive Residence was built on the same site.
All of the furnishings in the Mansion are considered to be of museum quality and make up one of the finest federal period (1780 – 1820) collections in the United States. These furnishings were acquired by a 70 member Fine Arts Committee while the Mansion was being constructed. It is a permanent collection and belongs to the State of Georgia. It does not change from one administration to the next.