Cross Hall

The pair of lyre back chairs are upholstered in Scalamandre Tarragon-Queen Anne fabric. English (1810).

The brass etching depicts the Georgia State Capitol building and was given by the artist’s (Lionel D. Jolly) family.

The pair of Federal mahogany card tables were made by Henry Connelly (Philadelphia cabinetmaker during the Federalist period, approximately 1789-1823). (circa 1800). On the tables are a pair of brass, bronze, and gilt bronze Argand lamps that originally used oil. English (1825). Above the tables are a pair of fruit and still-life on paper. French (1824).

The framed postcards show the three governor’s mansions in Atlanta. In 1868, the State Capitol was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta. At that time the state purchased the John James residence located at the corner of present-day Peachtree and Andrew Young Boulevard for the Governor’s residence. 17 Governors occupied this large Victorian home until it was demolished in 1923. The Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel is now located at this site. In 1925, the state acquired the large granite home from the estate of Edwin Ansley, located at what is now called the Prado in Ansley Park (mid-town Atlanta). That estate housed 11 Governors before it was vacated and demolished in 1968.

The blue ink engraving on cotton fabric depicts the moment on June 28, 1776, when the first draft of the Declaration of Independence was presented to the 2nd Continental Congress. The central group in the engraving are the committee members who wrote the Declaration of Independence draft: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Roger Sherman, Robert Livingston and Benjamin Hancock, President of the Continental Congress. It is a copy of the original painting by John Trumbell (known for his American revolutionary war paintings) and is displayed in the U.S. Capitol building (19th century).