1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 Tsp. dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
2 (12oz) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups of chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups basmati rice
1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
1. In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium to high heat.
2. Saute the onions, celery, green bell pepper and garlic until tender.
3. Add the smoked sausage, thyme, salt and pepper.
4. Sautee for about 5 minutes, then add red beans, chicken stock and bay leaves.
5. Let simmer uncovered on low for 1.5 hours. Stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
6. While the beans are cooking add all the ingredients for the rice to a small saucepan over medium heat.
7. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with the red beans.